On January 29, 2019, University of Montpellier and its partners in the University of Montpellier Doctoral College awarded PhD degrees to its 200 most recent graduating doctoral students. This unprecedented ceremony was held in the prestigious Opéra Comédie in downtown Montpellier. The facility was made available for the occasion by Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole.
One after the other, in front of their thesis directors and family members, nearly 200 young PhDs dressed with their traditional togas received the highest university diploma (8 years of university-level studies) right on the opera house stage. The diplomas were awarded by Philippe Augé and Marc Bouvy, Director of the University of Montpellier Doctoral College. The event represented an opportunity for the establishment to highlight the quality of the graduating PhDs’ work and expertise in their field of specialization. Thesis work defended in 2018 covered the entire range of doctoral schools in Montpellier.
The doctoral schools attending the ceremony were:
- Political Science / Law (DSP)
- Economics, Management (EDEG)
- Biodiversity, Agriculture, Food, Environment, Earth, Water (GAIA)
- Information, Structures, Systems (I2S)
- Language, Literature, Culture, Civilization (LLCC – UPVM)
- Balard Chemical Sciences (SCB)
- Chemical and Biological Sciences for Health (CBS2)
- Sciences of Human Movement (SMH)