MAK’IT Talks ‘Knowledge Brokerage at the Science-Policy Interface’ (20 October 2022)
“Knowledge Brokerage at the Science-Policy Interface”
Thursday 20 October 2022, 9:30 – 12:30
Interaction between policy makers, scientists and society is a crucial requirement for developing meaningful and sustainable policies. Science and other forms of knowledge are not always used effectively in policy making: it is widely perceived that policymakers do not inform scientists about their needs and that on the other hand scientists do not always proactively engage in the policy process. Knowledge brokerage, i.e. working at the interface between experts and decision-makers to achieve evidence-based policy decisions, is then critical. It is also a tricky process that requires understanding the different cultures and languages of the two sides; one that can take different forms, with differentiated impacts, in an increasingly complex and time-constrained context.
What works in knowledge brokerage? What pathways from evidence to policy should be pursued to improve the impact of scientific evidence on decision-making? How to improve communication between scientists, decision-makers and society so that knowledge brokerage translates into relevant policies with social acceptance?
In this MAK’IT Talk, duos of international and local experts with extensive experience in the science-policy interface and science communication will discuss these key questions, in direct conversation with the conference audience.
Programme and speakers
9:30 – 9:45 Welcome coffee
9:45 – 10:00 Introduction
10:00 – 10:45 DUO 1 – Brokering Knowledge: What for? How best?
- Esther Turnhout, Professor, Chair of Science, Technology and Society, University of Twente (The Netherlands)
- Sélim Louafi, Deputy Director for Research and Strategy, CIRAD
10:45 – 11:30 DUO 2 – Expert Committees’ role in multilateral negotiations: the examples of IPBES and HLPE
- Sandra Diaz, Professor of Community and Ecosystem Ecology,University of Cordoba (Argentina)& Senior Researcher, Argentina’s National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET)
- Patrick Caron,Director, MAK’IT & Vice-President for International Affairs,
11:30 – 12:15 DUO 3 – Science Communication for Sustainability Transformations
- Nick Ishmael-Perkins,Senior Consultant, International Science Council
- Helen Etchanchu, Professor for Sustainability, communication and Institutions, Montpellier Business School & Chairholder onCommunication and organizing for sustainability transformations (COAST)
12:15 – 12:30 Closing remarks
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch buffet
About the ‘MAK’IT Talks’:
The Montpellier Advanced Knowledge Institute on Transitions (MAK’IT) opens this year one of its monthly seminars, previously reserved exclusively for its resident fellows, to Montpellier’s scientific and student community.
Entirely in English, these ‘MAK’IT Talks’ are intended to serve as a space for productive dialogue between international and local experts and aim to strengthen links and synergies around transversal topics, at the science-society interface.
We encourage you to take full advantage of this new exchange platform and we look forward to seeing you at these monthly meetings!
Event in English
Village des Sciences
75, rue du Truel